Thursday, June 17, 2010

Health Care

As the health care debate continues on I have found myself in a unique position involving it.  I am one of those people that do not have health care insurance.  Is it because I feel invincible and just don't want it, no, its simply because I can not afford it.

As much as we have heard how much the poor need health insurance, how disenfranchised they are, the truth is the poor aren't the ones that need reform.  My yearly earnings would be considered middle class in most areas of the United States, and in most areas I could live easily.  I, however, don't live in the rest of the United States, I live in Nyack, NY situated in Rockland County.  The average one bedroom house goes for at least 1100 here and that is for a small apartment, and you can't find anything cheaper unless you are poor and on government subsidies.

Unfortunately, the definition of poor, is what is determined by the national poverty line.  For myself, if you look at my tax returns only and not where I live, you would consider me in an adequate financial position.  But when you realize my rent alone is nearly 2 whole weeks of pay a month, then add student loans, food, and bills, well I'm not left with a lot, which means when it comes to heath insurance, I can't afford it.

Some may think because of this I support the health plan congress put out, to this I give a resounding no.  I do not believe in free health care, and I do not believe anyone here in the US should get something for nothing.  What I do believe in is a society where everyone contributes, even if that contribution is minimal.  For myself to go to a doctor without health insurance is 120 dollars just for the visit, which can be hard at times for me to afford.  At times I've looked into health clinics when I need to see a doctor and just can't afford too, and I'm always turned away because I make too much.


Instead of these clinics asking, what can you afford, they just shut the door.  I would easily pay something for their services, but maybe to them that would be a shock.  In a country where entitlement is becoming more and more accepted, its hard to believe people would want to pay for what they receive, and that is the ultimate downfall for Obama care, many people will receive what they don't pay for.  In the end will I have health insurance, yes, but eventually I'll have higher taxes also, putting me right back in the same position.

Instead of nationalized health care, we need to look at ways to drive costs down, and relief to the middle class to drive income up, and ultimately this would mean everyone paying taxes.  The truth is everyone can afford to pay something, even if it's 10 dollars a year, but instead of them paying anything at all they get everything for free, and the burden for that falls on my shoulders.

It is time we do explore health care reform, but by finding ways to drive down costs.  The health are industry as a whole is not a money making machine, which people don't realize.  Their costs and overheads are high leaving their profit margins low.  The only way to offset this is to find ways to drive down costs, which means figuring out ways to protect the private sector, while encouraging competition to keep costs low.

No comments:

Post a Comment